Which one are you?

This one I rephrase from Rich Dad’s book. I forgot which page it is on so I’m trying my best to convey the story in my own words.

In a small island in Hawaii archipelagos, the island master called a meeting to discuss about the water problem in that island. He chose 2 young men to carry out the tender so that there wouldn’t be any monopoly or what so ever. Excited about this new money-making opportunity, the first young man rushed out through the door and started taking water order from the villagers. He thought by getting all the customers first, the other guy won’t stand a chance. He carried the water from an isolated well deep inside the jungle using his two hands. People were happy with this new service and gladly pay him for the trouble. He was also happy because his competitor has never shown his face.

The other young guy went out of town with a plan sketched in his head. He went to see his potential investors, discuss with a group of engineers and working out a contract toΒ  build a water pump and pipeline it to the village.

Years has passed, the first young man was too tired with the job. He hired his sons, cousins and friends to do the job for him. He has to share the profit with a lot more people and he started to lose his earnings. People started to complain about the water quality and inconsistency of water availability. They also demanded a lower price which he couldn’t afford to give.
On the other hand, the latter man was enjoying his wealth. He didn’t even have to work now. The profit was keep getting into his pocket. He hired a manager to take care of his company. While he charged smaller fee, the large volume produced more than enough money that he could use to pay his investors, engineers and other workers. He live happily ever after.

Is this a real story? I don’t know and I don’t even care if it’s not. The real moral of the story is, are you the one who carry the water or the one who build the pipeline?

Don’t forget to comment ya

1. #1 by Piji on January 26, 2007 - 3:10 pm

A great story, and very thought-provoking. =D

2. #2 by Din on January 29, 2007 - 5:01 pm

Well, its better if you can be both. The one who carry the water had the first mover advantage, to be first in the market to offer such services. from there he can gain recognition. His problem was not being able to realize that the product he offer is homogenous, the only thing that he can gain competitive advantage is in the way it is delivered. So to keep on being the first in the market he has to think better and more cost efficient ways to deliver his products and also to retain the captured market’s loyalty in the mean time. That would make it harder for competitor to come into the market and convince the captured market that their service/product is better….. Just my opinion.

3. #3 by Md on February 1, 2007 - 2:11 am

Nice story. So from the story, i want to higlight the following tips:
    Do the action-to-goal brainstorm and find out what really matters, what will sell, what is just nice to have and what to avoid. Strategic priority is the key here. Other than that, SWOT analysis also is a valueble too. Most of all, dont be greedy and also winning a battle is not necessary but, winning the war is.

Just my 2.18 cents

4. #4 by Irwan on February 1, 2007 - 6:01 am

Hi Md, mind to explain more about your SWOT method. Im interested to know. πŸ™‚

And Din, thoughtful post.

5. #5 by Sarah on February 2, 2007 - 7:12 am

I’d be an arse and say that I’m neither. Personally, I probably would not have been business-minded enough to actually bother with what the master had said…

Seriously, I think there’s nothing wrong with being either one, i guess. I agree with Din, The first guy was good in that he was quick to act, and carry out his plans.. But he should know better than to stay at that position tilll the end of time. I’m sure he would’ve had lots of chances to improve himself throughout the years he worked as the water-carrier.

As for the second guy, it was probably just his luck that no one else was actually smart enough to catch up on his idea. seriously, in the real world, another pperson, company, anyone would’ve been bright enough and created competition for him. kan? kan? kan?

6. #6 by Irwan on February 2, 2007 - 7:15 pm

lol sarah, nice point of view over there.

Md just emailed me on my request for explanation of SWOT. He got a problem in submitting posts. Here is his email to me.

Sure Irwan.. SWOT analysis is nothing but seing yourself under four different perspectives namely; Strength, Weakness, Opportunity and Threat. This thing we can apply as an individual on his way towards financial freedom, business campaign, warcraft campaign, basically anything to do when achievement does matter.

Simply, have a list of questions and answers (i.e. what, where, who,..etc) for each perspective, and do update them timely.

Know your SWOTs and throw your cards πŸ™‚

Forgot to answer question of the story, yup i’d be the 2nd guy.

Just my 11.29 cents πŸ™‚

-Md-

7. #7 by MΓ½r Fantasy on March 9, 2007 - 1:10 pm

We should do both, obtain the market first at the same time figure out how to maintain domination. πŸ™‚

8. #8 by Corazon Leacock on November 9, 2010 - 2:07 am

prolonged blog you bear

9. #9 by Hank Deakin on November 13, 2010 - 2:24 pm

How do big babies come by competitive products?

10. #10 by Brittny Gastineau on November 16, 2010 - 11:00 am

Thanks a lot great article. Where else could material looking at groundwork for a client, and this sort of.

11. #11 by Maximo Sherrock on December 15, 2010 - 3:31 am

I understand some thing new on several blogs daily. It’s always stimulating to see content of other writers and find out just a little anything from them. Thanks for sharing.