Proud To Be Malaysian

Malaysia will mark a new milestone in motion pictures production when a new 3D animation, Saladin is released. I never expect a Malaysian made film can be this good. The first time I watched the trailer, I thought it was just another animation produced by Disney. I wish this film could pave its way to the United States so I could proudly say to my friends that it’s made by fellow Malaysians :D.

[youtube wbTZDlfVTTQ]

1. #1 by Irwan on March 29, 2007 - 12:51 pm

nice kan video dia…

2. #2 by ed on March 29, 2007 - 3:02 pm

Hope you forgive my candour, but…

Don’t take pride in that which you didn’t create. It excuses you from actually achieving something that is worth affording pride….unless you can prove that malaysia culture is unique and comprises that combination of perspectives that went into producing the above. Think about it. Nationalism contributes to idiocy.

3. #3 by ed on March 29, 2007 - 3:14 pm

That said, its good to see an animation that does not present the muslim peoples as barbaric pillaging hordes, and, from an arabic perspective. Good one!

4. #4 by ed on March 29, 2007 - 3:21 pm

Why must it go the US and be recognised there before one can take pride in it? Those people are good only for effects and not profundity in meaning and insight.

5. #5 by nisa on March 30, 2007 - 12:46 am

the video is superb! the nicest cartoon malaysia has ever made.. and by the way, what is ed trying to say? =/

6. #6 by Irwan on March 30, 2007 - 1:07 am

Hi ed, how is it going there.

come to think about what u said above, i think it’s not uncommon that we take pride to the achievement by our related person. And the fact that the animation is funded by governments means that it’s virtually owned by its people. So I guess it’s no harm to have a little bit of pride.

As you say, pride excuses us from achieving something. it depends though, to me what makes a person great or not is not how he feel but how he reacts to what he feel. when you feel proud, it’s either you can feel complacent and be in internal slumber, or it can give you great motivation knowing that your own people is able to do such a great job.

I think u misunderstood the scope in my last sentence. What I referred as ‘friends’ above are American friends. So I suppose they have to know about this animation at least to blend it in our daily conversation.

I apologize to be so defensive but when my 5-line-1-paragraph-with-1-smiley post get so ‘candor’-ized, i think i should clarify it a little bit more.

7. #7 by happysadmelody on April 3, 2007 - 5:31 pm

The animation was produce by MDEC using Malaysia local talent, but the director is from Australia. To me it’s a prove that with the right leader anything can be achieve. Do you know this film has also won an award in Tokyo recently.

8. #8 by Hazim on April 10, 2007 - 4:23 am

wow thats cool.. 🙂
    when it is going to be showcased?
    uhh cant wait.. thats soo much better than usop sontorian
    orr yeah u know i dont remember how its suppose to be spelled
    hhaha!! cool huh..