Sunday Night Rambling : Do what you wants to do

That day, I have this conversation with my friend. He said I’ve got everything that he wants. I invest, I have blogs, I got several side incomes, I play badminton and I can two-handedly (even though horribly) play keyboard. Somehow it seems that I have everything that he wants.

I told him if I do something that seems good, it doesn’t mean that he wants to do it too. Everybody wants to do good things. But is it really your passion, is it really what you really want to do? (yes, I use three reallys).

So I asked him what he like to spend time on. He said he really like to study, to spend time on books, to do mathwork, and to stall for hours on unanswerable questions. That’s it, I said. You don’t really have to do what others are doing. You invest in your education, you have homework as your journal, your side-income is the knowledge that you store in your mind, you play with words and formulae and you gracefully use both sides of your brain. Basically you do everything that I do, just in your own ways.

Satisfied with my just-in-time motivators, he left with a new feeling that day.

I was left with my own thoughts that I offered to him just now. Am I really do what I really really want? Or do I just do what cool people do and pretend it as one of my passion? I know my answer and I would like to hear yours.

Please do comment :p

1. #1 by lukxiufung on September 10, 2007 - 3:05 pm

seriously, very hard to justify or decide what we really really really want or like to do. This is also one of the reason people use to try many things before decide. AND also, this lead others think that you are not enough passion and patient. Everything just 3 minutes heat…

2. #2 by squaretan on September 10, 2007 - 6:33 pm

Most people not doing what they want to do. What they are doing is because they have no choice but to do it. So Irwan’s msg is clear to all. Do what u want and like. If not you will regret later in life. That’s my 2 cents!

3. #3 by Irwan on September 11, 2007 - 12:36 am

on 2nd thought, if you don’t know what to do,find something that make yourself happy while doing it. just like my camel t-shirt motto; one life, live it :p

4. #4 by gem on September 11, 2007 - 2:43 am

what i really really really want is still out there. not knowing what that makes me happy (while earning a living) is like a hard rock in front of you that you cant move thus just doing whatever that comes your way. sometimes you just dont know what else you could do besides what you are currently doing, fear of of another unknown. it’s like listening to a music and could only dance to one genre but dont think another alternative would do the same if not better. any suggestions that is not like jumping into a deep end ( so i wont drown) btw i majored in accounting in now working in an accounting practice ( which doesnt make me feel happy doing the work that i am doing)

5. #5 by norisa on September 11, 2007 - 8:50 am

I want to invest in mutual fund such as PBIAF and PBIASSF (the new launched funds). How ever if I want to withdraw my EPF and invest in this two funds, will it be a secure investment? For a time being I have already invested in PIADF and PIOF using my own cash (not thru EPF withdrawal scheme). The market seems volatile right now. Pls share your ideas..TQ

6. #6 by kaklong on September 11, 2007 - 12:28 pm

well… what is my passion actually? i’m still confused lol. =P just live life to the fullest! ^_^

7. #7 by kkchow23 on September 12, 2007 - 11:27 pm

What I think most important is to enjoy what your doing and feel comfortable with it… or else you’ll be having lots of problem and obstacle which won’t be that easy to overcome.

8. #8 by irwan on September 13, 2007 - 3:38 am

hey im writing this using iphone.I’m at at&t shop

9. #9 by lukxiufung on September 13, 2007 - 9:25 am

cool man, can blog everywhere 🙂

10. #10 by tim on September 14, 2007 - 9:10 am

irwan, can i borrow ur iphone?? (blinking my eyes!!)

hahaha..

11. #11 by Irwan on September 14, 2007 - 9:14 am

haha kenot.. then i have to use ur pinkishblingbling razer

12. #12 by Amy on September 18, 2007 - 1:59 am

Life is good when we are able to do what we wnat to do, as opposed as what we have to do for money. Thanks for the blog.