Re:Of Eid celebrations and Bad Showmanship

This is a response to "Of Eid celebrations and Bad Showmanship" and the follow-up “Ruffled Feathers” by Shuraifa Faruqi. It’s best to read the posts first to put you in my perspective.

Hi there, Shue. Firstly I would like to say that I enjoy your style of writing, your diction, and of course, your vast resource of vocabulary. The way you express your feeling through writing, It seems as if it comes directly from your heart. I wish I could do the same.

About the showmanship thing, usually I don’t take it to heart about what people are saying. But a few of my friends do and that’s why I have to jump into this discussion for both parties’ understanding.

I wish I was the Project Director for the night, or the ones who put much effort to make it happen so I can be unbiased as possible to enlighten you how the way we see it. Unfortunately, I was just the secretary for this event, who did nothing of much importance that night even with that grande title.

As person whose life lingers around the music industry, you might feel that it’s important to show our best in stage with thorough preparation and practice. And of course it has to be ‘executed with class and finesse’ and definitely not with scotch-taped backdrop. Besides, we are the ones who represented Malaysia at that night right?

Sometimes, we put high value to certain thing. But others might not do the same. And in some critical situation, we have to choose one thing over another. Even the choice seems to be the best to us; it might not be the best to others’ point of view.

To put in example, let say that you and your not-so-good friend were having a tiring day after an event. That night when you can just go home and have your well-deserved sleep, you chose to accompany your friend in one of mamak stall coz he can’t go back home for some reason and he’s alone. So you guys had a great time talking to each other until morning. When it’s time to go back, your friend, being a professional in accompanying people at nite said, ‘hey, shue thanks for accompanying me, but you know, you could have done better. You know, I’ve been listening to your boring story for hours and pretend to enjoy it. When you accompany someone, you have to know what he likes to talk about. You have to speak his language. I’m a little disappointed there. But never mind, maybe next time you could do better. “A” for the effort though.

Then he said good bye.

Of course, this is a ridiculous story but I hope you get what I meant from it. Even his attention is honest, which is to improve your skill in accompanying people, for him to say like that is rude, ungrateful and it’s hurtful.

People are different, and so as their value system. It’s okay to give constructive critics but sometimes we have to think about others too. This applies to my friends too. It’s easy to be prejudice to critics especially when we are the subject of the critic we misconstrued the real intention behind the critics.

Ok that’s all. Gonna sleep.

-Irwan

1. #1 by chiem on October 27, 2007 - 7:51 pm

top notch!

2. #2 by Shue on October 27, 2007 - 10:22 pm

Dear Irwan,

Wonderfully put! Very apt indeed. In a way, i think it’s safe to say that we might see eye to eye on a few things. There’s a balance in your writing which is much appreciated.

Apologies again for ruffling the feathers and there is an admittance on my part for being at times, somewhat harsh and maybe a bit too straightforward, one quality, or maybe a dysfunction (depending on how you look at it, haha!) that i will not compromise. This is the price to pay for speaking out, and one that i am willing to take. No one can change how one might perceive the words put out.

I’m quite sick of the colonialist attitude that some might have here, especially us being predominantly Muslims and Asians. We’re no lesser, just as dynamic as our western counterparts, that is why, to me, it is most vital to put our best foot forward. We’re not only representing our country, but so much more. It was rather disturbing to overhear some comments made on your event. I wouldn’t know who they were exactly but there would’ve been a word or two to hush them indefinitely if i did.

I see this as, (purely metaphorical) might as well be the person/’friend’ who tells a fellow comrade that he/she is walking around with his/her zipper down, instead of letting him/her suffer the indignity of awkward gazes and finger pointing when it is realized at the end of the day. But then again, to each his own.

Despite all this, hope you have a good year ahead. Here’s to a bigger and better event next year or whenever. Have a great day and good luck.

3. #3 by kaklong on October 28, 2007 - 12:00 am

uwuwuwuwuwuw… saye sangat terasa tentang scotch-taped backdrop tersebut T_T I thought we could do something about putting up the backdrop since it was informed to us so last minute (about not having a backdrop papan to put the backdrop kain) but I was totally wrong T_T

4. #4 by memememe on October 28, 2007 - 12:50 am

x suke minah kerek tu. eeuwww.. kudos irwan for a good example, spending time hours and hours and hours, when we could do something else better, this nobody tells ‘ You could do better, ‘A’ for the effort’.

Give me a break.

5. #5 by xgaeax on October 28, 2007 - 9:04 am

irwan. kudos, you did great with the remark. that’s very diplomatic and mature of you. though shue might make think she’s being sooo mature about things, i find it rather ironic seeing the way she was commenting about efforts of those she doesnt know with the better-than-thou attitude AND turning it into a social-political issue! hahaha i think she’s just trying to cover her own arse
    but yeah, she is entitled to her own opinion but she didnt have to be a bitch about it. cud’ve put it in much nicer ways, dont you agree? 🙂
    see you around!

6. #6 by yaya on October 29, 2007 - 8:09 am

well, to insignificant person..u can just give us the comments straightaway right after the performance instead of lashing out in ur blog!!i mean,thats how straightforward u are right???n we even hav more comments to say to u,esp. me. so,u n ur “pretty mind” can open to suggestions right.as my fellow comrades said, look at ur obnoxious words b4 u put it in ur blog!try to understand why some people were mad instead of twirling ur “pretty head” around and look at WHAT WE SAID in different DIRECTIONS!!sigh..i guess people with music major cannot think straight.or was it only u?by now,u know what u should do but…being in “OPEN SOCIETY” n “STRAIGHTFORWARD” wont allow u to absorb everything that we said.a simple apology would b nice.oh btw, u can do it in front of us. till we meet again.

7. #7 by test on October 29, 2007 - 7:25 pm

hi there yaya! 🙂

8. #8 by yaya on October 30, 2007 - 3:25 am

hi back to u test!!

9. #9 by kaklong on November 1, 2007 - 9:29 am

Irwan, serious lawa gile gambar kat flickr. Is it because of the camera or do you do any touchup using photoshop?

10. #10 by Irwan on November 1, 2007 - 11:18 am

thanks nisa! ade touch up gak dlm ps tp cam 50/50 ngan camera gak.

11. #11 by squaretan on November 1, 2007 - 4:28 pm

Yeah, especially yaya’s pictures! 🙂 lolz