Makcik PC : Eee PC contender?

img3In the wake of ultra portable (and surprisingly interesting) Eee PC by Asus and ultra-affordable OLPC (one laptop per Child), Malaysian don’t take any chance to be left behind in producing our own invention. Mimos, a Malaysian-based company, released Makcik PC on 30th Nov 2007.

With a starting price of less than USD100, Makcik PC is aimed to reduce the gap between rural and urban society in Malaysia.

I don’t know which operating system it comes with but surely it’s not any sort from Microsoft.

With touchscreen as its main input device, it would be great if this PC have Iphone-like interface. You know, like multitouch and drag-to-scroll thinggy.

Let’s see some of its specs:

• Start from RM330 ($100USD)
  • Voice-activated features
  • Built in Flash memory (at least 2GB)
  • Touch screen (no keyboard)

I congratulate Mimos for this initiative and let’s see how it goes. More pictures after jump

img6

img7

[Via 1,2]

1. #1 by melayubuntu on December 2, 2007 - 8:10 pm

rm330? its too much for something like “makcik” i think.. 😀

2. #2 by squaretan on December 2, 2007 - 11:45 pm

Makcik? You calling my aunty? 🙂

3. #3 by DwayneLattimore.com on December 4, 2007 - 1:07 pm

This is pretty “special”. And this device’s OS is something that we’ve never heard of? Okay……Maybe Bill Gates will love the concept enough to buy the idea!

*There are already Touch Pads with Windows on them here in the U.S*

I wish them luck with this one.

Dwayne

4. #4 by anti-corruption/junk! on December 5, 2007 - 4:20 pm

this is another Junk project produce by Malaysian Corruption Agency Company… after the p^oton company…THis is failure project who try to reduce cost to sell off this junk to our Makcik…. They tot Malaysian makcik is easy to cheat ah?? This is simply NOT the smallest PC in the world but it ACTUALLY is the BIGGEST PDA/Palm in the world! lol! Pls remember a good product require 3S – Sales, Service, Spare Part. Surelly they will SALES to you…but izzit they have greaat after-sales SERVICE? when is been service izzit have enough SPARE PART??? or just tell u tat…tak apelah, 500 saja, belilah yang baru… The Malaysian Way…. 🙁

5. #5 by aman on December 5, 2007 - 6:25 pm

tak sabar nak beli..huhu

6. #6 by mokhtar on December 6, 2007 - 1:46 pm

ngape dia tk buat sekali built in 3g datacard
    kan senang tak yah nak beli data card la usb modem la atau beli hp 3g
    aku gerenti kalau dia ade boh benda alah tu mmg laris mcm pisang goreng panas
    mana ade lg kt dunia pc ade buat built in benda alah tu
    sekarang org dh tk pakai wire dh
    dia buat wifi ade lain ke wifi kt ujung kg kt luar bandar
    kata nak jual untuk luar bandar murah jadi sertakan la sekali built in dta card tu tinggal masuk simcard je
    baru la org jalan bawak makcik
    budak2 pun bole buat mcm buku sekolah bole belaja dimana2 just sekolah ujudkan gerbang perpustakaan maya senang nak study
    kalau bole jual solar charger sekali sebagai aksesori pilihan
    senang kot2 tgh2 padang abih bateri just cocok je
    kalau dengan aksesori tu jual pakej rm1500 aku rasa berbaloi
    kalau nak standart je pakai rege yang ade ni mmg ok
    tp yg penting builtin data card tu la
    buat 2 versi pun ok gak yg ade data card dgn yg tk de
    mahal 100 200 dari yg biasa org beli janji data card bole support sampai hsdpa baru gempak makcik ni

7. #7 by Irwan on December 6, 2007 - 2:03 pm

aku pun x brape faham concept dia. Klo nak murah, why touchscreen, letak je keyboard. lg murah.

and of course, why makcik? bebudak skolah mesti kene kutuk pakai pc ni.

8. #8 by silent hero of telecommunication on December 6, 2007 - 3:07 pm

apa guna wifi@wimax kalau ‘makcik’ tak tahu guna ‘pc’..
    lgpun ia dicipta utk low end user,bkn high end user..
    kalau nak lebih hebat baik beli laptop sj..
    jgn la cuba nak sabotaj apa org m’sia cuba buat sesuatu yg baik utk org m’sia..

p/s – ia bkn palm/pda..ia sebuah pc..

9. #9 by Irwan on December 6, 2007 - 3:15 pm

yeap.. i fully support them

10. #10 by PYTOTP-013-UT891545 on December 7, 2007 - 12:29 am

sure is a scam to tipu makcik. actually they wish 2 do 1 home 1 pc. but if the pc is too low end also useless. just like proton around street, everyone own a national car but quality is poor. even perodua now is better. hopefully this pc will not be monopoly by someone.

11. #11 by jjb on December 7, 2007 - 2:41 am

mimos silap sebenarnya patutnye diorang buatlah yang macam Ee PC tu ataupun classmate pc ke…ini buat komputer nipis tapi takde guna…kalaula diorang pikir sikit.Patutnya tak pyh Touchscreen membazir je bagus dia ambik pendekatan asus..daripada pentingkn design bagus pentingkn computing ability………Malaysia,Malaysia
    Ish..Ish

12. #12 by bolenot on December 18, 2007 - 2:34 pm

Why reinvent the wheel?

Who are the target customers? Makcik-makcik at rural areas? Do they event have internet connection? What are the detail specs? What usage can Makicik-makcik do on this “makcik” PC? Email? Word processing, surf the net??

And only Malay language? Yeah, its going to sell a million or two! (Assuming every Malay makcik in Malaysia buys one.)

When is the shipping date? Can ppl order now….??

With no further details from the horse’s mouth (MIMOS), I’m afraid this is another glittering Malaysian made White Elephant project.

13. #13 by goalcentre.com on December 25, 2007 - 3:28 pm

The device looks a bit old like “Makcik” I dont think many will use it.

14. #14 by plagiarism checker on November 21, 2010 - 6:14 am

Thank you so much, wonderful job! This was the info I needed.

15. #15 by rent to own a house on November 21, 2010 - 6:15 am

TY, nice job! Exactly the info I had to know.

16. #16 by home insurance information on November 21, 2010 - 9:21 am

Thank you so much, nice job! Just the thing I needed.

17. #17 by sedona real estate on November 21, 2010 - 10:27 am

Thank you, wonderful job! Just the information I had to know.

18. #18 by Demetrius Domenice on April 17, 2011 - 7:09 pm

My hubby and I came here seeing as this particular post was tweeted by a female I was following and i am pleased I made it here.

19. #19 by Vance Medina on April 18, 2011 - 8:15 am

I have read this post and if I could I want to suggest you some interesting things or suggestions. Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read even more things about it!

20. #20 by Hangrt on April 20, 2011 - 8:41 am

You will need to put the disc that came with in in an external drive and reformat it. You need a little computer savvy to do it. Since you seem like a computer dummy – just take it to the computer shop with the disc. and pay them to do it.

21. #21 by Donnell Merrick on April 20, 2011 - 7:45 pm

This blog appears to get a great deal of visitors. How do you get traffic to it? It gives a nice individual spin on things.

22. #22 by Blanch Folta on April 22, 2011 - 8:04 am

It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or tips. Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read even more things about it!

23. #23 by Ronnie on May 5, 2011 - 10:02 am

Well, I have never heard about that PC yet. It´s new for me but exactly what I need. I´ll be in LA in two weeks. Maybe I can get more info’s about there. Hope I can import one to Europe!