My art of procrastinating

spaceballProcrastinating

Procrastinating is not bad, if you know how do it properly. Here is a list of three tips to procrastinate better.

1. Always limit your time studying or doing homework

As a procrastinator myself, my most productive time is the last hour of the dateline. But one thing about procrastinating is that the last hour makes you suffer, disoriented and full of tension. So my solution is to set my own goal and time it’s due. I tried to emulate the anxiety of the set time as much as I do with the real due time. This way I could also have the heavenly feeling of finishing a job just before its due time.

Besides, if I managed to complete the homework, I will give myself a gift such as a venti size of White Mocha Iced Latte from Starbuck. That’s to encourage my mind and feeling towards finishing any goal next time.

What happened if I can’t finish it on time? Usually I just skip to the next homework and work together with my friend when the real due date is coming.

Apply that to studying too.

2. Multitask is another form of procrastinating

Multitasking is today’s buzz word. Unlike computers, we only have one core and even with that, we don’t have full control of memorizing things. I found that multitasking actually requiring more time than it should be, especially when doing something new i.e studying. Our mind always make an excuse out of it to stop doing the real work. So don’t fall for its trick.

I save multitasking for something that I do routinely, like unlocking 5 Iphones at a time or folding clothes while talking to my mom on the phone.

3. Find something bigger to procrastinate

Have it ever happen to you that you find there is always something else to do beside doing your final paper? Suddenly, some lesser things like washing dishes or sweeping floor seems more interesting to do. Our brain try its best to avoid doing something important, even its has to do the task that you don’t like.

Harness the motivation behind this procrastination by doing something a little bit less important like doing your homework. Force yourself to decide between doing the final paper or this little homework. You win either way.

There you go. If you find these tips useful, use them as you please, if not, or you have anything in mind, the comment section is for yours to use. :p

[Image]

1. #1 by Free From Broke on December 11, 2007 - 11:04 pm

You just reminded me that I have to write two papers!! Why is it we can get more done at the last minute than if we had two weeks to do it? I like your first tip. I do this at work sometimes. I tell myself that a project needs to get done by lunch no matter what. Sometimes it works. Thanks for the tips.

2. #2 by Irwan on December 12, 2007 - 2:11 am

Sorry to remind you about that. 😀

You have a very good question there. It can be related to what we call Parkinson’s Law and Student Syndrom.

Parkinson’s Law states that ‘work expands to fill the time available’. If you have more time to do (i.e two weeks), so you will divide the task each day until the due date.

The law also suggests that complexity and importance of this task related to the time it has to be finished. However, the more time we have, the more that we want to delay it (to do something that has to be finished earlier). Once the delaying happen, the time we have will decrease and the perceived importance(and anxiety) will increase until it’s able to get our ass off to work.

That’s when we replace our hat with ‘The most time-efficient student’

There is a short article about Student Syndrom here

3. #3 by Get XBOX 360 on December 13, 2007 - 8:21 am

art of procrastination… i’m just in no mood for any studying right now. what to get the final exams and get done with them.. luckily i have only 2 more papers..

4. #4 by ici on December 16, 2007 - 3:32 pm

well, I guess that’s what they mean by when push comes to shove…you simply have to do it in the end, even at the nick of time.

My trick when it comes to procrastination…I ask people to shove me around. Hehe. I’ll ask my hubby to remind me, starting with ‘sweetheart…’, …then ‘you told me to remind you…’ if the first time doesn’t work, and if that still doesn’t work, he’ll call my name with a stern voice, ‘Ici!’

Remember how we hate when our mother ‘reminds’ us all the time. Sometimes things get carried away into adulthood, and I think we sometimes become dependent on that.

Same during my study time, I have a study group so they can push me around.

5. #5 by Business Marketing on December 18, 2007 - 2:26 am

Great How-to. I think there are many people who could benefit from reading this 🙂

6. #6 by goalcentre.com on December 31, 2007 - 9:31 pm

I am pretty sure i am good at procrastinating! Happy New year brother 🙂

7. #7 by Anne on January 29, 2008 - 10:34 am

I like your tips. Actually, I never want to be procrastinate person. But, oftenly that I find myself working very hard and under pressure in the last minutes of deadline…The hardest think for me is to choose the priority of work. I will try to fix it from now on.

8. #8 by Yahoo is fast on November 25, 2010 - 1:07 am

Yahooi is great and yahoo is far better than google.