5 reasons why Apple won’t release Iphone in Malaysia

img26People are hoping that Apple will release Iphone in Malaysian market. Here are the reasons why I think Iphone won’t be released here.

Malaysian market is too small

I know Malaysian are very quick in adopting new technology especially in handphone market. However, the numbers are quite small comparing to other eastern countries like Japan. And having to deal with Malaysia lock policy, I bet we won’t be on top of the list.

It’s illegal to lock any phone in Malaysia

Just like France and Germany, we have a law to prevent any phone to be locked to certain providers. Apple either has to release an unlocked version or not to release it at all. Considering that Apple is making much money by sharing revenue with telco providers, it’s a loss for them to release an unlocked version.

Suggested price for unlocked version would be around RM3600++

Apple released unlocked Iphone in France for 749 Euro and in Germany for 999 Euro to compensate for the revenue that Apple would get in subscribers payment. If we convert that amount into Malaysian Ringgit, it would be RM3600 to RM4790 per unit. It’s very expensive for a smartphone. Besides that, people are selling self-unlocked Iphone at RM2300 -RM2600. I don’t know about you but paying extra RM1000 for valid warranty and upgrade seems too much.

No 3G

I thought this would not be an important reason but after using Iphone for months, it feels like I would kill to have 3G. Browsing using Iphone would be so much fun if a website doesn’t need at least 30 seconds to load its page. After you have tried navigating

Self-unlocked Iphone is more fun

If you want peace of mind and stay with original firmware, you are losing big time. While there are bunches of web application which don’t require you to install anything in your Iphone, 3rd party applications offers many more functions to you. These are the lists of things that might seduce you to convert:

-MMS
-Camera with digital zoom and burst mode
-Games (tetris, snake, tower of hanoi)
-Access your computer at home
-Azan software
-Voice note
-Money tracking
-Last.fm client
-auto-lyric finder

This is just a tip of iceberg. There are a lot more applications that make original apps so mundane.

What is your prediction about it? Do you think Iphone will come to our shore?

1. #1 by ChampDog on January 26, 2008 - 1:02 pm

Very well written! 🙂 I predict in 2 years, other vendors (e.g. Nokia, Motorola, and etc.) will have something similar which provides the equivalent or better features than iphone and by then the iphone will lost the market in Malaysia.

• #2 by Fustrated on February 7, 2009 - 9:32 am

Apple has been the epitome of computer design and collector’s number 1 option to bid and buy. What makes you say that other products can compete with it…
      U guys are scumbags trying to push the iphone aside. Let me give a clear example 2 you? Which do you prefer apple or not apple!!!

2. #3 by goalcentre.com on January 27, 2008 - 3:22 pm

How i wish they could bring it in Malaysia. The volume won’t be big in Malaysia. That’s why it’s not here yet.

3. #4 by awang on January 30, 2008 - 5:45 am

i think, Malaysia telecommunication companies should follows European Countries.i think Locking the phone is a good think.becoz when u sign for the company like in Uk u will get phone free. u will pay monthly for a quite little amount of money and get a PDA or any phone for free.plus every week you will given about 1000 min free talk and 1000 free sms per week.enough what…juz stoppping by..

4. #5 by Hargopal Singh on February 10, 2008 - 9:02 pm

If I may add on to this topic, I have created an article talking about the pros and cons on getting an Apple iPhone before its launch here in Malaysia.

5. #6 by Rey on April 1, 2008 - 2:54 pm

Maybe… we Malaysians (I dunno at other countries) are using Windows XP, Vista…

So, to operate Iphone, I guess one have to use iMac laptop (pls correct me on the spelling… I’m not that familiar with Apple product). Maybe iPhone users will only benefit much if they r using iMac as well. Again… since lots of Malaysian using Windows, it’s unwise for iPhone to be released here.

• #7 by Irwan on April 11, 2008 - 4:35 am

iphone is managed through itunes. itunes is available for both windows and mac. so i don’t think that’s a problem

6. #8 by Rey on April 12, 2008 - 1:26 pm

Thanks for the feedback Irwan. I heard there’s new Ipod with 3G. Hope it’ll be in Malaysia soon.

7. #9 by YC Wong on June 10, 2008 - 7:08 pm

But Apple sell Iphone in Singapore. Singapore is much smaller than Malaysia but Apple still target on them. I don’t think market small is the reason.

• #10 by Shen on July 4, 2008 - 11:05 pm

Its affordability. More ppl in Singapore can afford it. It may not be the size of the population that drives the market, but the standard.

8. #11 by Shen on July 4, 2008 - 9:56 pm

All very good valid points. Honestly I think its just cause the ringgit is so low. Not many ppl can afford the iphone. Its ridiculous. almost 4000 ringgit for a phone? You have got to be smoking something to buy that.

That and the fact that knowing us. We would rather, beg, borrow or steal than pay full price for an Iphone. Microsoft knows that. Apple knows that. We know it. And we will get it. Just now by their means.

9. #12 by Patrick on July 13, 2008 - 6:00 pm

Hi
    I think all you reasons are not the reason.
    1. Malaysia telco market is bigger than singapore.
    2. Iphone 3G is not simlock, everyone can activate through iTune (confirmed). new zealand vodafone selling iphone without con.
    3. 3k++ is reasonable and those who can afford is a lot and a lot.
    4. even sarawak got a lot of 3G coverage. OK
    thank for sharing.

10. #13 by Admin on July 17, 2008 - 7:24 pm

I heard that they released in Singapore? Is it correct?

11. #14 by Irwan on July 17, 2008 - 10:54 pm

yes, singapore is in launch list, but they will be in 2nd phase which still doesn’t have exact date

12. #15 by Dreamy Damsel on August 29, 2008 - 10:15 am

Gosh. I’m tired of waiting….

13. #16 by Ainin on August 30, 2008 - 11:12 pm

interesting article… but i STRONGLY suggest you to do some reading and research before posting, at least keep yourself updated and informed.. (would save you a whole lot of embarrassment) heres why I think you have got it wrong irwan:

1. iphone is being released in singapore first is because of the large expat (especially americans) living in singapore

2. the NEW iphone 3g is sold unlocked but has to be activated on purchase to enable you to access to the online iphone apps store. the iphone release delay in most countries (including Malaysia) is perhaps due to the time and resources needed to provide the online internet support needed to activate and purchase items from the iphone3G

3. suggested price of rm3600.. too expensive?? not if you know what the mac and the iphone is ALL about =) anyway, price wise, this is still in speculations. Most mac items sold in Malaysia are still cheaper compared to in europe and u.s.

4. no 3G??.. erm excuse me BUT the new iphone model is called the iphone3G… go figure!

5. self-unlocked fone is more fun.. only if you’re a moron and have been living in a cave all this while.. there is no need to self-unlocked anything!

BOTTOM LINE: get your infos right before you start making comments =)… oh yes, even if the iphone3g doesnt reach malaysia, you can still purchase it elsewhere and use it here! cheers friends!

• #17 by Ahmad on September 21, 2008 - 4:57 pm

Ainin, you are a moron… this article is 6 months ago! You can’t even do a proper research of your own so stop calling people moron…

• #18 by nurkasih on September 2, 2009 - 5:02 pm

Wuhu… she must has a hell of confidence in her to write that ‘STRONGLY’ word. Anyway, Irwan I realized your article was written way back and yeah..I do agree with some of your points as I used to discuss most of your points with my friends.

Btw, I am using one.. tho nuthing special.. If it is being compared and contrast with any other PDA nowadays, it will definitely not win.. But ..quoating my bf’s word “The Phone is nuthing..What makes it a wow..is the operating system which until now the most stable so far ; used both in their macbooks , ipods and integrated to their iphone”.. And I agree as I switch to Mac World awhile ago and I don’t think I want to turn back to look over the Windows again..

Just my two cents anyway.. Don’t get emotional over it..Cheers..

• #19 by nurkasih on September 2, 2009 - 5:04 pm

Forget to mention..

When you are using Macbook and an Iphone..the world of managing information is in your hands..because both of them are incredible duet when used side by side…

14. #20 by Irwan on August 31, 2008 - 12:41 am

dear ainin, thanks for your comment.

as you might not realized, i wrote this article on January this year. this was when there was nothing about Iphone 3G announced, when Iphone original was still being on sale. I was shocked to read your comment, especially your point no 4. It was like i wrote this article yesterday. It’s 6 months earlier. Did’t you read the date of this article? It might save you a lot of embarrassment.

I have considered all the information that I can get at that time and used them to make an intelligent guess.

You can’t just come back a half year later and make a rude comment about the current situation.

Yes, it has changed, and it’s more clear now. but can you say that when it was in January? You can say that people who said the world is flat thousand years ago are moron and unscientific people.

I don’t feel embarrassed by this article. In fact, I’m quite proud of it.

• #21 by Mygyver bin Santan on September 3, 2008 - 1:27 pm

Any replies Ainin?

15. #22 by dom on September 9, 2008 - 1:22 pm

Such a boring thread lah! Iphone 3G 16GB available in New Zealand at about RM2700 completely unlocked. Yes Irwan, I received your e-mail! I am not willing to sell any Iphones i bring back as there is a risk involved. If customs stops me, I need to go to SIRIM to apply for AP @ RM215, plus I have to pay 10% tax. That makes it, worst case scenario, about RM 3200. Not to mention the trouble to convince these jerks at Vodophone that I want to buy the phone as is. I feel so bad for Malaysia, not only for the Iphone situation, but also for the severe political unrest that forces those who accept status quo, pay the ultimate price!

16. #24 by Naiem on September 27, 2008 - 11:35 am

I hope there’s a person would like to sell iphone in lelong or mudah.com.my. Definitely tonnes of people will bid it.

17. #25 by SumoDuck on October 11, 2008 - 12:23 pm

Hi,
    Im doing a research assignment on the accessibility of iphone in malaysia. This article was a bit out of date and i need some help. i can see Irwan knows alot bout iphone..i need some help from u…can u update me with some new info??thank you in advance!!:)

18. #26 by amriah buang on October 22, 2008 - 3:48 pm

I just bought 3 Unlocked UK Iphone Set with International warranty which you can use it at any place in this world. Malaysia has Apple Workshop which you can use the warranty there.

IPhone model: 3G 16GB
    Retail Price: RM3200.00 – RM3900.00

My Price: RM2800.00

Buy All 3 Set: RM8000.00

For inquiry or negotiate price, email me at amriah.buang@gmail.com

Serious Buyer only.

* Dock Connector to USB Cable
    * USB Power Adapter
    * Documentation
    * Cleaning/polishing cloth

Contact Email:Kate_sales147@hotmail.com

20. #28 by Jason on December 10, 2008 - 7:40 pm

what kind of jerk are you? It is such a shame that a very well educated and articulate person like you does not have basic courtesy and humility.

21. #29 by nys on December 27, 2008 - 11:33 am

funny ainin~
    pls check it out b4 u leave a comment in other’s blog~
    as wht u said’figure it out 1st’

22. #30 by Iphone Unlocker on February 3, 2009 - 2:39 pm

Bro please teach us how to send MMS using iphone

23. #31 by Sim Siang Khian on February 8, 2009 - 10:30 pm

I went to an apple store yesterday. They said they were selling iphone in sibu sarawak for rm 2600

24. #32 by tommy on February 8, 2009 - 10:33 pm

iphone is the best phone in the whole world

25. #33 by Vince on February 12, 2009 - 11:07 am

Hi all,
    I’m selling Officially Unlocked IPhone 3G from Singapore Singtel. No need to use turbosim or software to unlock. Just put any simcards, it will work immediately. Comes with original receipt as proof of purchase and also as warranty claim purpose.

8GB – RM 2500
    16GB – RM 2850

If interested, pls drop me an email with your contact no.

Regards
    Vince

• #34 by virgil on February 23, 2009 - 11:23 am

hi vince,

can pm me?

thanks first~
      🙂

• #35 by Vince on February 24, 2009 - 11:53 pm

Hi virgil,
        You may email me at vincentfvy@yahoo.com to discuss further.
        Good news, price has dropped a lil since my last posting.
        However, we can only transact at KL/PJ. Cash on delivery basis. Can let u inspect the phone first.

Beware, the Singtel set has the following part no: MB489ZA/A, MB496ZA/A or MB500ZA/A. If you go survey at Low Yat Plaza, pls make sure the phone they show you has the part no as stated above.

Cheers
        Vince

26. #36 by chan on March 23, 2009 - 3:01 am

hi, im selling my iphone 16gb 3g black colour for rm 2,200
    used for 5month, still new,
    full set.
    intresterd hit me back… cheers!!
    k.l and selangor.

• #37 by bro on June 1, 2009 - 1:51 am

still have it?

27. #38 by NOKIA N96.........340euro on June 13, 2009 - 9:21 pm

Mobile telecommunications as now expanded to make the world a global place for all,and this as make we The Electronics mobile world limited uk to come out with a wide range of products at afforrdable prices and safe delivery.

Email address :communicationsltd@hotmail.com

HTC Touch Diamond2 Phone…………………320euro

DIGITAL CAMERA
    Panasonic LUMIX DMC-G1 DSLR Camera….650EURO
    Canon PowerShot SX200 IS Digital Camera….720EURO
    Nikon D700 DSLR Camera……………………………..750EURO

AND MANY MORE
    Contact us for your inquiry
    Tel: +447045763082
    Email: communicationsltd@hotmail.com

28. #39 by donbother on June 30, 2009 - 3:47 pm

for ainin,

go bek to your womb! pukimak

29. #40 by Yousef on November 5, 2009 - 6:15 pm

Nokia N900…………………………………………$320
    APPLE IPHONE 3GS 32GB BLACK OR WHITE………………….$299
    Samsung i900 Omnia 16GB Silver (unlocked)……………….$210
    Nokia n97 32gb Black Unlocked …………………….280usd
    Blackberry Storm 9630 (unlocked)…………………….$25

Product Includes
    Apple iPhone 3G S 32GB Unlocked
    Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic
    Dock Connector to USB Cable
    USB Power Adapter
    Documentation

Contact Email:Sales.enquiry07@live.com

30. #41 by jerry nicholas on November 14, 2009 - 8:27 pm

Durn Store Electronics and Bikes Technologies Ltd specializes in the distributions of Iphones, Mobile phones, Laptops, Games, Mobile accessories,Tv’s e.t.c.

we are running a promotion right now in our company, if you buy 3unit out of all we sell you will get one for free .so come and order for you to gain from our promotion .

we are company registerd under goverment and we sell originals produts.
    Our objective is to develop long-term relationships with our customers. To do so, we continuously provide our existing customers new products, advanced designs, and patented innovations so that they can stay on the top of their markets.

We shipout worldwide through Professional and reliable courier company e.g FEDEX EXPRESS , DHL and UPS of contract sealed . Customers never experience what is called Breach of contract since our operation. Fidelity guarantee our service , our product are 100% international waranty and guarantee .

E-mail: durn_storetechnologies@live.com, durn_storetechnologies@live.com
    E-mail: durn_storetechnologies@live.com

Contact:durn_storetechnologies@live.com

COMPANY NAME: DURN STORE ELECTRONIC TECHNOLOGIES LTD.
    ADDRESS :345 KING-FISH LANE

Apple iPhone 4GB — $100
    Apple iPhone 8GB — $120
    Apple iPhone 16GB — $130

• #42 by holla on January 13, 2010 - 4:18 pm

hye spammer,
      u come to here also?
      not enough money has u cheating?

dont trust this spammer!!

31. #43 by Graham Calicott on November 9, 2010 - 2:09 am

This weblog appears to recieve a large ammount of visitors. How do you get traffic to it? It offers a nice unique spin on things. I guess having something real or substantial to say is the most important thing.

32. #44 by evansville computer service on November 13, 2010 - 3:24 am

I’ve meant to post about something like this on one of my blogs and this gave me an idea. TY.

33. #45 by sweaty palms on November 13, 2010 - 7:14 am

TY, nice post! This was the info I had to have.

34. #46 by asbestos on November 13, 2010 - 11:47 am

Is it alright to put some of this on my webpage if I post a backlink to this webpage?

35. #47 by Cheyenne Gemes on November 13, 2010 - 9:22 pm

You probably need to know if it’s time to overhaul your.

36. #48 by plus size lingerie 5x on December 3, 2010 - 8:11 am

Good Stuff, do you currently have a youtube profile?

37. #49 by Ty Manley on December 21, 2010 - 7:09 am

I don’t really leave comments on blog entries but your post was pretty insightful for me. I like it so much that I just had to let you know. Please allow me to copy your article on my website with a link back your site. My readers would love this article.

38. #50 by Supermann on December 24, 2010 - 6:37 pm

Bertrand Russell~ Guy needs for his happiness not merely the satisfaction of this or that but hope and enterprise and change.

39. #51 by dating sites on February 4, 2011 - 7:28 pm

If you don’t mind, where do you host your webpage? I am looking for a good quality host and your webpage appears to be fast and up just about all the time…

40. #52 by Grant Sawaia on February 9, 2011 - 10:04 am

Hey vspq4ct53oeaxq9g7fo7, very interesting post, it really got me thinking. 2ymyw8ewmf xl9njt34dh Thank you. qatmq5tr12
    22ymqi8rwn

41. #53 by Koyaail15 on March 29, 2011 - 10:23 am

Hi irwan..

thanks for such information…
    for iphone users…mayb you like this..

42. #54 by Ollie Mancusi on April 10, 2011 - 11:08 pm

I’m not sure exactly why but this weblog is loading incredibly slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a problem on my end? I’ll check back later and see if the problem still exists.

43. #55 by Myrna Amero on July 18, 2011 - 9:46 am

days 2 or 3 weeks and perhaps weeks ahead of time. it is possible to goal your current

44. #56 by Larry Basnight on July 22, 2011 - 8:14 am

the world. lovers, family members, people along with businessmen, many

45. #57 by Leana Tomspon on July 25, 2011 - 1:29 am

it is excellent to see you once more guy, I have not utilized any instruments that you mentioned above, it is good providing to us, I adore them so much , it sounds crafting my function a lot a lot more much easier and it can save my a lot of time that I devote on internet marketing. I am going to check into all of them . I truly enjoy to you for discussing the nice job.