My first Cat scan

img27

I went to see a doctor last week because i was having a week of fever. After a session of physical checkup, the young doctor still haven’t had a clue of what was going on. She thought that I might have appendicitis and suggested me to take a Cat scan at Hoboken University hospital to double-check it.

I didn’t feel that I have appendicitis as I heard people with appendicitis can’t even walk because of the pain. I did feel abdominal pain but that didn’t come close to what I expected of appendicitis.

After been visited one-after-another by three staffs from Reslife, which kinda make me feel better, I was given two bottle of thick whitey barium sulphate. It tastes like thick tangy orange juice without the orange flavor. The last drop of that stuff nearly had me throwing up.

After 3 hours of waiting, the result of the Cat scan was out. It’s negative. I wasn’t that worry but it’s a relief to hear the good news. We (one of the staff stayed) packed things up and went home in Stevens Police SUV.

After three days of nausea and diarrhea (mostly because of barium sulphate), I’m feeling good again, writing a story about this in my blog. The sun indeed shines brighter after you got healthy again.

1. #1 by TiM on February 1, 2008 - 4:12 am

hahaha.. irwan irwan. sleep well and eat well. Cik Jebon tu memang masak pedas2.. hehe.. anyway, stay warm. (xde kaitan pun)

p/s : You better take care of your health, nanti karang ramai org risau.. =)

2. #2 by Anne on February 1, 2008 - 12:18 pm

Hi Irwan,
    When I got appendicitis, I remember that the doctor check me with a simple way. He ask me to bend my right knee toward my stomach. I felt very pain in my right bottom abdoment that time…Then, the doctor decided to operate me. Did your doctor check you that way too?

3. #3 by goalcentre.com on February 1, 2008 - 12:33 pm

Get well soon. Take things easy mate! 🙂

4. #4 by Irwan on February 1, 2008 - 1:24 pm

@Anne:

yeah. i did that too. but i didn’t feel anything. I wondered why the doctor still suspect me for appendicitis.

btw, the doctor is hot. so i don’t mind doing anything she asked. :p

@jason: thanks bro, sorry for not replying to your ym recently hehe.

@tim:thank you tim, nice to have a caring friend like you

5. #5 by Piji on February 2, 2008 - 8:10 pm

Medicine, sometimes, is no more than just guesses and trials. Be patient Irwan and don’t be stressed out about this.

6. #6 by KCLau on February 2, 2008 - 9:18 pm

Irwan, you need to take care of your health. You can’t create wealth without health 🙂
    Wish you all the best!

7. #7 by rudanici on February 2, 2008 - 10:25 pm

hahaha…that’s western medicine. Appendicitis with a CTscan?!? I guess that’s why I can’t stand watching Dr. House. Thank goodness you got a good looking one to stand by you 🙂
    We still use our fingers and palm, and blood test…and that would be enough.
    Glad you are well. And many thanx for the Excel sheet you made for retirement. Downloaded it last night after reading Azizi Ali’s book. God Bless! 🙂

8. #8 by Enzymo on February 5, 2008 - 11:57 am

1500 Children Die Every Year From CT Scans

Abstracted from USA Today

Each year, about 1.6 million children in the USA get CT scans to the head and abdomen – and about 1,500 of those will die later in life of radiation-induced cancer.

What’s more, CT or computed tomography scans given to kids are typically calibrated for adults, so children absorb two to six times the radiation needed to produce clear images. Radiologists could turn down the X-rays without losing quality, and thus expose the children to less potentially cancer-causing radiation.

These doses are much larger than the sorts of doses that people at Three Mile Island were getting. Most people there got a tenth or a hundredth of the dose of a CT.

Doctors use CT scans on children to search for cancers and ailments such as appendicitis and kidney stones. There’s a huge number of people who don’t just receive one scan.

About 11% of the CT scans at his center are done in children under 15, and they get 70% of the total radiation dose given to patients. Children have more rapidly dividing cells than adults, which are more susceptible to radiation damage. Children also will live long enough for cancers to develop.

The breast dose from a CT scan of the chest is somewhere between 10 and 20 mammograms. You’d want to think long and hard about giving your young daughter 10 to 20 mammograms unless she really needs it.

CT scans are used in about 4% of medical X-ray examinations, but it contributes to an estimated 40% of the total radiation dose to the population.

American Journal of Roentgenology 2001:176;303-306

9. #9 by ChampDog on February 6, 2008 - 10:22 am

From Enzymo’s comment, it sounds really scary.

10. #10 by Enzymo on February 6, 2008 - 11:56 pm

I dun mean to scary anybody here but I am really really against unnecessary X-ray, CT Scan, and other radioactive scans. All these are cells destructive scans. It may do more harm than good to our body. Just don’t simply agree to take these tests.
    Even the Ultrasonic scan for pregnant mothers are not 100% safe for babies, but most pregnant mothers agreed to perform the scan every time they visited the O&G, you were allowing the O&G to shoot a 20KHz of ultrasound through the body of your loving baby and you cheer ” see my baby…so cute… so cute ” you know what I mean?

Anyway, Happy New Year to all Chinese readers out there.

11. #11 by ChampDog on February 7, 2008 - 3:00 pm

Enzymo, I agree with your statement and see your points too. Anyway, Happy Chinese New Year to you too!

12. #12 by Anne on February 8, 2008 - 11:22 pm

Hi Irwan,
    After reading Enzymo explanation, you still don’t mind to do anything that the hot doctor asked you :)…?

13. #13 by Kak Naan on February 14, 2008 - 12:07 am

Hi Irwan, great to hear you’re feeling better now. Take care of yourself. I have to agree with KCLau, You can’t create Wealth without Health.

14. #14 by Irwan on February 14, 2008 - 12:12 am

Thanks kak naan, i don’t have many choices when living abroad but i’ll try my best. 🙂

15. #15 by kaklong on February 14, 2008 - 1:50 pm

When reading Enzymo’s comment, it makes me feel better than i don’t follow the doctor’s order to do another CT scan. I’ve been in US for only 3 years and found out the doctors here are very paranoid – sometimes they’re making me paranoid too. I’ve had more than 3 X-Rays and 1 CT scan (head part to check my vertigo issues) in US (imagine all those in less than 3 years). And suddenly, i receive order to do another CT scan on my chest – due to some enlargement they found during my X-Ray sessions (which i really hope is not a breast cancer).

But after going through all those x-rays and scans, i don’t think i can stand another CT scan since those rays can build up cancer just like Enzymo said. I won’t do anymore scans and x-rays here in US until I graduate no matter what the doctors say. They’re too paranoid!

16. #16 by kaklong on February 14, 2008 - 1:51 pm

and by the way for irwan, glad that you feel better now ^_^

17. #17 by InflationBomb on April 15, 2011 - 7:21 pm

I had a cat scan a few months ago and am claustrophobic so it really sucked. Anyway good to hear it was negative.

Visit our blog: