Why I hate Slumdog Millionaire

image I don’t deny that it’s a great movie with various awards and nominations pouring around its feet but I don’t agree with the morale carried by the film.

First of all, he’s not genius, he just knew all the answers. Can anyone be that lucky? Even so, how can he remembered all the stuff. Yeah, I know most events that related to the questions are very significant to him. Maybe that makes it a great story but to remember most the stuff that happened when you were young is illogical.

The world is full of hatred and misfortune. That’s the message that is chanted every minutes in the film. His brother sold his Amitabh Bachchan autograph, his mother was killed by religious war, his millionaire game host tried to deceive him, his heedless love was stuck with mob boss and so on. The world might have all that but the movie makes it look like the world purposely done so to make him suffer, without justice nor humanity.

I hate the climax as well. He won money. Nothing more than materialistic and sordid award for his sufferings.

[img]

1. #1 by kaklong on February 4, 2009 - 10:36 am

yep, is money all that matters in life?

2. #2 by someone on February 4, 2009 - 11:39 am

He got his girl too. money is a medium to gain happiness. it’s shown how he got Latika’s attention by being in the tv show and how he finally got to the final stage. if it’s what the director want, using money to compensate all his sufferings, then why he finally met his girl at the train station alone instead of at the luxury restaurant? the ending of the movie is not like a fairy tale where prince and princess marry in a luxury wedding.

he’s not just being unfortunate all the time. he escaped from his eyes being blinded is something that I want to say a lucky moment.

I am big fan of this movie, yet I’m writting down these things not because I want to prove you wrong, but just stating my own personal view.

I dint have a wonderful childhood nor that I want to claim it’s a bad one. Although I couldn’t really recall my memories all at once, but once I saw something that triggered my memory, I would definitely remember those things that had made me cry all night.

• #3 by Irwan on February 4, 2009 - 12:11 pm

Thanks for your view! appreciate it.

3. #4 by Kate on February 6, 2009 - 7:39 am

OMG! what is wrong with you? I think the plot was brilliant. He got on the show NOT to win the money but to communicate to the girl. He remembered all those events because they were associated with TRAUMA (take psych 101 dude) you’ll remeber what is on the dollar bill if you saw how someone burned your friend’s eyes out! Yeah, the ending is a little cheesy but they even make fun of it themselves, hence the dance scene (so classic!) at the end. The movie was a F**ing breath of fresh air after all this BS that Hollywood puts out. So I say – thank you to the creaters.

4. #5 by TiM on February 17, 2009 - 7:38 am

I like Slumdog Millionaire. 😀 Love it so much.

5. #6 by shiney on February 24, 2009 - 2:13 pm

i don`t agree to it. thats the struggle a commoner in mumbai goes through. at the end money is reqired for evry thing in life,as we say we all live for and with food . money is required for everything.fact is no money no life no love that goes on like that

6. #7 by nana kassim on February 24, 2009 - 4:57 pm

Fuck you and your morality u fuck..no wonder filem melayu masih macam sial..pasal ada mangkuk mangkuk bangang yg berperangai macam UMNO RTM yg masih dalam tempurung kebodohan.

Wake up and smell the coffee bro.Its a fuckin movie..enjoy it thats all..Kalau nak moral sangat pergi mengaji bro.Itu baru pedoman.BODOHHHHHHHHHHHH

• #8 by Irwan on February 25, 2009 - 4:23 am

wow so much hate in the world today. I was just giving my opinion and each one is entitled to himself, including you.

So what’s the deal with filem melayu sucks with my opinion. why suddenly UMNO came up with a discussion about film. If you want to express your opinion, go ahead just like others. The fact that you are attacking me instead of my writing put yourself as a childish, blame-everyone kind of attitude.

Macam mana melayu nak maju if an open discussion like this was filled with hatred, swear words and irrelevant attack. sigh

• #9 by kuruma on May 13, 2009 - 9:09 am

sheesh.. it’s just his opinion. yang u ni emo sgt apesal. pms ek? wakakaka.. llllarrriiiikkkk XD

7. #10 by Sanjay on February 25, 2009 - 4:25 pm

It shouldn’t have won

Sandipan Deb
    Tue, Feb 24 04:45 AM
    Frankly, I don’t think Slumdog Millionaire deserved the Oscar for best film. And even more frankly, I don’t think Resul Pookutty should have invoked “my country and my civilisation” in his acceptance speech for best sound mixing. India was not up there in the Kodak auditorium for approval. It was a British film financed by the indie subsidiary of an American studio which happened to be set in India and as a result they could not help but involve Indian actors (including Indian-origin Britishers) and shoot it in India. We crave too much for international recognition. A bit too much than is seemly. Even as all of us go around strutting, pretending to be a superpower.

Other than Slumdog, I have seen only one film out of the other four nominated. But I’ve read about all of them. The one that I saw is The Reader. The subject is far more intellectually challenging, emotionally moving and morally disturbing than Slumdog can ever hope to be. Not since A Last Tango In Paris has nudity (both male and female) been so necessary to a film’s narrative, and so non-titillating and so touching. A film which stretches over 30 years and with essentially only two characters, and yet a film that is as gripping as a thriller. It’s a film that, as my friend told me, demands and requires to be seen in one sitting, with no interruption by commercials and visits to the loo.

But look at the themes of the other movies that were nominated this year. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, the love story of a man who is born as an extreme geriatric and keeps getting younger and dies as a newborn. Only for a brief period of time are the man and his beloved around the same compatible age. Of course it’s an impossible concept and completely unbelievable, but it’s a high concept. Milk is about the first openly gay man to be elected to public office in the United States; Frost/Nixon about the first interview disgraced US President Richard Nixon gave, to has-been TV journalist David Frost. For both of them, it is a chance for redemption, for a somewhat sane life. These are all big themes. I am not doubting Slumdog’s quality as a film in any way. Danny Boyle is one of the most talented directors around. But comparing Slumdog to The Reader is almost impossible. It’s like comparing A Christmas Carol to Great Expectations.

Scrooge won, little Pip lost. But that’s the way it has been with the Oscars. Sometimes the nominations reflect the mood of America’s liberals, sometimes the winners reflect political correctness. In 2006, the following five films were nominated: Good Night and Good Luck, Brokeback Mountain, Crash, Capote and Munich. Good Night and Good Luck is about a TV broadcaster who took on the McCarthyist witch hunt in the 1950s; essentially about freedom of the press. Brokeback Mountain deflated the entire mythology of uber-macho frontiersmen by portraying a deep homosexual relationship between two cowboys. Crash interlinked several stories to study racism in all its forms and in startling ways. Capote was about the gay writer Truman Capote who travels to the South of the US to write a book on two multiple murderers. Munich told the story of the Israeli agents who hunted down the Black September terrorists who killed Israeli athletes during the Munich Olympics, and asked the question: To take revenge, do we become as base as the men who are our targets?

There’s a clear pattern: anger over the Iraq war, the stifling of the media, the stranglehold of neo-conservatism, the contempt for minorities. The denizens of Hollywood were simply reacting to their world as they saw it. The other major critically-acclaimed movies of that year were Transamerica, about one man’s battle to change his gender, and Syriana, which told Americans that their nation’s policies were largely responsible for Islamist terrorism.

Then there’s political correctness. Gandhi won Best Picture over ET. The Academy decided that the biopic of a great and influential leader was more “important” than the woes of a cute alien stranded on our planet. (This incensed Steven Spielberg so much that he decided to give the Academy the “important” films they felt comfortable with, and made The Colour Purple – which didn’t win any Oscars – and Schindler’s List – which raked them in.) Tom Hanks won his first best acting Oscar for Philadelphia, as much for his acting as for being the first major star to portray a gay man suffering from AIDS. In Hollywood, that’s called “courage”.

So The Reader can’t win. After all, its female protagonist is a former Auschwitz guard who let 300 Jews burn alive in a locked church. The film’s position on morality is too nuanced for the general Academy member to grapple with with any success. But Kate Winslet can be given the award for best actress. By taking this controversial role and baring her body so naturally for the purposes of art, she has shown “courage”. Milk is about homosexuality, so Sean Penn gets the statuette for “courage”, but not the film. Benjamin Button, which was co-produced by its star Brad Pitt, is probably seen as too much the case of an actor showing off, while being aided by more-than-state-of-the art visual effects. Frost/Nixon? Who’s interested?

So Slumdog has won, and we should really rejoice for the six children who acted in it, for they are the real stars of the film. We should rejoice for AR Rahman, though the music he has got his two Oscars for is not even of his average quality, forget his sublime and exhilarating stuff. But the Academy has decided. But I really think it’s a bit too much if we take this as a victory for Indian cinema. It’s a non-Indian film which happened to have an all-Indian cast. We shoot entire films abroad nowadays, especially in the US, remember?

The writer is the editor of the RPG Group’s soon-to-be-launched current affairs and features magazine, ‘Open’.

8. #11 by tisha on March 4, 2009 - 8:41 pm

I like your maturity and self opinion esp the way you reply to Nana Kassim comment.. Irwan. Wish my son will be growing up to be somebody so mature, intelligent, high morale and integrity like you.Amin! I, ve been following your blog occasionally. Hehehe.. its so funny to see some ppl have an immature mentality and blaming others attitude such as blaming UMNO for anything. I,m not a great suppoter to any political wings..but I think this is too much

9. #12 by tuhau on March 5, 2009 - 10:20 pm

actually he was on the show so that he could get Latika to see him, not to win the money. mind you, he wasnt jumping for joy when he won.

yes the world is full of violence, just this week sri lanka’s cricket team were targeted in pakistan. a few months back a nun was raped by hindu extremist in front of the police who did nothing. we cannot run from the issue of the world.

his brother sold his amitabh bachan for money is nothing. my brother kicked my mouth and i lost a tooth when i was 10 years old when i played loudly and he was woken up. life is not fair.

he’s not a genius through, that’s why he used one of his lifeline as he didn’t know what was written under india’s flag.

i guess you didn’t put much attention while watching as there was a part when jamal told the police, i didnt ask them to ask me those questions. they ask me questions which i know the answer to.

🙂

10. #13 by ChampDog on March 9, 2009 - 1:21 am

This movie is not bad to me, quite creative in a way. 🙂

11. #14 by kampunginvestor on March 17, 2009 - 6:09 pm

You hate them but they win so many awards. How? 🙂

12. #15 by bigger than Arafat on March 31, 2009 - 3:22 pm

nana kasim reminds me of the crack whore meandering along the red light district of Liverpool…His/her insults are LEGEND lol

13. #16 by Eesha on May 1, 2009 - 6:57 pm

It was , in a way, unrealistic.
    I mean, how can a chaiwala who’s never been to school end up talking in fluent English and operating a computer?
    Plus its humanly impossible for anyone to vividly remember what happened to him before 5-6 years ago and someone who’s never driven a car before race along the streets, that too of a progressive, metropolitan city with such ease.

14. #17 by eyeman on May 17, 2009 - 4:49 pm

i guess many people hate slumdog millionaire. But some people also like it.

15. #18 by lukman on May 21, 2009 - 12:21 pm

Agree with Kate. Anyway, it was a ‘story’ based on some real facts about life there, but it never claimed to be a fully factual money. If we go logical, benjamin button ain’t that logical too.
    Definitely agree there have been better movies too. Lagaan and Wednesday would be a must see on my list. Parzania too (this one is based on true moments)

16. #19 by Bert on August 13, 2009 - 3:06 am

This movie won many oscars because the academy members like to consider themselves liberal, left and intellectual, which they are not really, because they can not pinpoint what Slumdog Millionaire is really about, they think it’s this popular rags to riches story and why not give India some attention? After all, we colonized it once. The academy misses out that Slumdog Millionaire is in fact a movie with a hidden political agenda. This agenda contains a lot of criticism against western world itself, projected on people in India. The movie’s story has no connection with India whatsoever. Off course India has slums, but it’s not about slums eighter and it’s defenity not about how people think in India. The movie deals with western world’s own obsession about money, greedyness, oppressing guildfeelings towards the poor and so on. This movie almost make me puke.

17. #20 by The Real Slumdog Millionaire on August 24, 2009 - 9:14 pm

If you had, one chance, one opportunity, would you take it? … or just let it slip by?

If, there were to be a film produced, named “The Real Slumdog Millionaire” by a very renowned and internationally recognized Indian director with a strong script and sureness of entry into the Oscars on the mainstream. Everything well planned and foolproof!

How much would u contribute if u had one month’s deadline?

Think and answer… I’ll be looking forward for your replies. Thank you!

Imagin3~

18. #21 by Patrice Roskovensky on November 9, 2010 - 2:25 am

This page seems to get a large ammount of visitors. How do you advertise it? It offers a nice unique twist on things. I guess having something useful or substantial to talk about is the most important thing.

19. #22 by Armand Scipio on November 13, 2010 - 8:22 pm

We must bury the hatchet.

20. #23 by watch community episodes on November 15, 2010 - 8:51 am

Keep it up, great post! This was the info I needed to get.

21. #24 by St Francisville Bed and Breakfast on November 15, 2010 - 9:12 am

I’ve meant to write something like this on my webpage and this has given me an idea. Cheers.

22. #25 by world news headlines on November 15, 2010 - 9:22 am

Do you care if I put some of this on my website if I post a reference to this page?

23. #26 by geelong real estate agent on November 15, 2010 - 11:39 am

TY for the great post! I would never have gotten this myself!

24. #27 by fashion south africa on November 15, 2010 - 3:22 pm

indian lifestyle

25. #28 by Aquamarine White Gold Rings on November 15, 2010 - 4:09 pm

Thought I would comment and say superb theme, did you code it for yourself? Really looks great!

26. #29 by dog bark training on November 16, 2010 - 12:44 pm

I’ve meant to post something like this on my webpage and this gave me an idea. TY.

27. #30 by salary of cfa on November 16, 2010 - 4:18 pm

Keep it up, wonderful job! Just the thing I needed.

28. #31 by Directory on November 16, 2010 - 4:51 pm

Thought I would comment and say great theme, did you code it yourself? It looks great!

29. #32 by appartamento on November 17, 2010 - 10:50 am

Thought I would comment and say awesome theme, did you code it for yourself? It’s really great!

30. #33 by Public Financial Services on November 17, 2010 - 12:00 pm

Can I reference some of this on my page if I include a reference to this website?

31. #34 by Hilary Shepherd on November 17, 2010 - 12:50 pm

When I open up your RSS feed it looks like a ton of unformatted html, is the issue on my side?

32. #35 by tramdol {1|2|3|4|5|6}{2|3|4|5|6|7}{a|1|2|3f|g|hR} on April 8, 2011 - 1:06 am

I’m really thankful to the author with this post for making this lovely and informative article live here for us. We actually appreciate ur effort. Continue the excellent work. . . .