Is it the time to sell my Public Mutual stock?

Well, isn’t that every inventor’s favorite question?

Today’s economy is much better than in late 2008 and throughout 2009 but the fear is always there. You can be at the peak or the bottom but still you would not know what is going to happen.

Here is where we are now:

Being through the peak in late 2007, I didn’t do anything throughout the recession until now. While I’m glad that the economy is back to the black side, I want to be more proactive in managing the stocks.

You know what’s the best investment for me now? ASB. Yeap, it’s virtually as risky as Fixed Deposit (which is risk-less) and the rate of return is 2.5-4 times better that FD. Plus, you can withdraw and invest without paying any additional fee(investing is RM1 per transaction if you do it online (M2U)). That’s liquidity, which for me is far more important especially if sometimes I’d need money to roll in some short term business.

Compared to Public Mutual, you’d need around 5-6% for initial investment and 1-2% annually. Thus, you can’t take in and out your investment as easy as you’d wish.

So I think what’s best for me is to use ASB as my hedge during bad time and as a holding place for business fund during what I call ‘business inactivity’. :p

1. #1 by Jdoe on August 24, 2010 - 2:24 am

hello

2. #2 by Jdoe on August 24, 2010 - 2:28 am

ASB is non-halal because they don’t have a syariah committee.

Somemore, our gomen cannot issue a fatwa saying ASB is non-halal, because can you imagine what the implication would be? So the gomen only say it is harus, to minimise the impact.

So in a way, people are stuck with the issue of haram and halal of ASB. My advice, if you concern about halal or haram, take out from ASB and go to Tabung Haji or other syariah compliant like Public Mutual Islamic funds.

If you don’t give a shit about halal/haram, then continue.

Peace bro.

3. #3 by Marsy 86 on August 24, 2010 - 2:59 am

hello Irwan…

i am currently planning to invest in any syariah-compliant trust fund..like ittikal n stuff.. if you happen to be one of the runners. you can contact me at marsy.86@gmail.com. i have a lump sum of cash to dump somewhere beneficial. it’s better to invest with someone i know n know the economy like you than any random person… ciaw!!!

Ammar Sirry

4. #4 by Anonymous on August 24, 2010 - 4:58 am

Hi there,

There is a fatwa that states ASB is Harus and another Fatwa that says it’s Haram. In this case, it’s up to someone to side with any of the fatwa and try to avoid arguing that might affect silatturrahim. For further reading:

1) Hukum Pelaburan ASB (http://www.zaharuddin.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=224&Itemid=63)

2) Penjelasan Salah Faham Berkaitan ASB Dan Penasihat Shariah, Suruhanjaya Sekuriti (http://www.zaharuddin.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=226&Itemid=63)

3) Soal Jawab : Tak Puas Hati Isu ASB (http://www.zaharuddin.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=254&Itemid=63)

Regards,

5. #5 by Anonymous on August 24, 2010 - 4:59 am

unfortunately I’m not an agent of any sort. ๐Ÿ™

6. #6 by Marsy 86 on September 1, 2010 - 11:07 am

thanks.. i think you should be one since you have some knowledge on this matter.

7. #7 by Belirendahjualtinggi on September 25, 2010 - 7:30 pm

No, this is not the time yet to sell yet. A lot of people who got into unit trust expects amazing return but that maybe ok for long term. In the past, I used to put a significant amount of my savings in ASB, but no more. First of all, there is question about whether ASB is syariah compliant. Despite what’s in the news, the scholars have not agreed on this. Secondly when teh market is down, you can switch from equity funds such as ittikal to public islamic money market fund or PB islamic bond fund. when teh market is moving up again, you go back to ittikal. How do you know when it is a good time to go in or not? I make it my business to know, I put almost all my savings in public mutual fund. Read how I do it at http://belirendahjualtinggi.wordpress.com.

8. #8 by aizagorjes on November 18, 2010 - 2:20 pm

Salam.
    i just recently followed your blog. very informative indeed. well done!

few days ago, i learnt of a new money making method using toneexcel. as good and as easy as it seem, after looking at its plan, i wonder what’s your comment on the plan?

9. #9 by 2d barcode on March 8, 2011 - 6:06 am

Well, itโ€™s good that you decide to invest on ASB with profitable return of 2.5 -4 times without any extra fee in comparison to FD or public mutual.
    -2d barcode
    -generatebarcode@yahoo.co.nz

10. #10 by OMDS on May 12, 2011 - 7:23 pm

Ok I have no idea what Public Mutual is, but out of curiousity, I pulled up a performance chart. In the past year it’s up 21.18%! Hope you kept it!