The danger of attaching too much to your business

1. There is a reason that a business is called an entity.
  2. It has its own ecosystem: bring in money more than it spends.
  3. Being too attached to your business will cloud the decision making with emotion.
  4. Analogy: A car driver loves his car too much that he pedal it with his feet to assist its movement << bad analogy
  5. Negative: emotionally clouded judgment, hinder company true performance, lack of belief in staff, spend too much time on business, staff doesn’t feel a part of the company.
  6. Positive: Enthusiastic, hardworking, well focused company, usually leaner,
  7. Possible solution: Half time an owner, half time a VC.
  1. #1 by Marypulido Cl on April 8, 2011 - 9:44 am

Completely agree…its a disease to give too much time to your business. We tend to spoil a few things with too much attachments and too much concerns, even at individual levels. It truly clouds the decision making process, and you will agree, this causes problems in our relationships also….everything needs space and so does our business.

2. #2 by Glennda Mirabete on April 15, 2011 - 1:01 am

Definitely I agree. We just have to guide not to really hold it in our hands, right? No need to choke it with our hands, we just have to open our palms and let it move its way.

Please visit my site:
    dishcomparison.com/

3. #3 by Jessica on April 29, 2011 - 2:59 pm

This is so true, but it is harder said than done. Your business is where you put your heart and soul and all your effort and skill. In many ways it is your ‘baby’. But it is true that attachment can only lead to bad effects and bad decision making. Any recommendations on how to detach?

4. #4 by Traviselron on April 29, 2011 - 4:57 pm

Yes. When your name is on the front door (literally or figuratively), it can be hard to detach. I’ve started and sold 3 businesses. i now work as a internet marketing consultant to small businesses and what an eye opening experience. I see my old self in just about every client I have. Can’t see the forest through the trees. And worse, hard to convince them of that.

5. #5 by Angelle Torrejas on April 30, 2011 - 7:19 am

I agree all of that method… you know when you engaged in a business you also need to associate in your staff, then be friends of them… Tell them what’s there problem about there work and the most important is you need to feel free in the company, don’t feel bad…

6. #6 by Anonymous on April 30, 2011 - 8:33 am

You know I agree with you but I’m a total workaholic. If I can extend work for a few more hours I’d do it in an instant. See, I used to be a really happy go lucky person and I guess when I started working seriously I got more addicted to the respect and admiration other people gave me and I guess I have spent all the stupidity I have for a lifetime to go do it again. Thank God some of my personality hasn’t change only my goal because I still laugh with the people I work with. I’m proud of who I am and what I’ve become. This is the confession of the workaholic. The only disadvantage in my case is that the only people I’m meeting nowadays are my coworkers. Huh. I happen to know for a fact that my friends miss me but what can I say. I’m busy,busy,busy. 🙂 A piece of advice, always love your work, friends, family, and life- follow this and I guarantee you you’ll never be an ogre in the eyes of your employees.

7. #7 by Jezzelle on May 2, 2011 - 7:49 am

All of those things listed above are absolutely true, you must not engaged yourself attaching too much to your business, let it flow smoothly, don’t be so harsh in doing all those stuff. As what glennda said ” We just have to guide not to really hold it in our hands” for it may cost problems along the way.

8. #8 by Webmaster on May 4, 2011 - 5:24 am

I enjoy reading your posts, especially those about anatomy investment and savings. I think they are informative and useful. The contents were also easy to be applied. I haven’t done them all, but I found almost all of them are correct. Then, I am looking forward reading more other posts. Good luck with your career.

9. #9 by Shengay24 on May 5, 2011 - 8:02 am

Even i still don’t have my own business but i keep on studying it for the possibility soon in the futures.. Yep i barely agree danger of attaching to much to your business. That’s why we must follow the guidelines.

10. #10 by John on May 12, 2011 - 7:18 pm

Yeah I hear ya and can totally relate. When business gets tough, it’s a hard decision. Keep the course, or move on to a “potentially” more lucrative opportunity.

For some people (including myself), your self identity is tied to your business. Which isn’t a good thing. It makes it tough to move on.

11. #11 by betsy21 on May 21, 2011 - 1:34 am

You can never classify a business decision as completely beneficial or completely harmful. That is just not the way the system works. Each and every decision can have different impact on your business.